Fans say Conor McGregor looks ‘washed up’ and ‘hard’ in worrying comeback training footage international sports news

Fans say Conor McGregor looks 'washed up' and 'stiff' in worrying comeback training footage
Conor McGregor. Image via: Getty Images

Conor McGregor is getting closer to his long-awaited UFC return, but newly aired training footage has raised concerns among fans who believe the former two-division champion no longer looks like the explosive fighter he once dominated the sport. The footage, which began spreading widely across Reddit, shows McGregor working on pads in preparation for his scheduled rematch against Max Holloway at UFC 329 on July 11 in Las Vegas. McGregor has not fought since July 2021, when he suffered a devastating leg break during the opening round of his trilogy fight against Dustin Poirier at UFC 264. Since then, repeated withdrawal attempts have stalled. A planned comeback against Michael Chandler in 2024 fell through when McGregor pulled out due to a toe injury, while retirement speculation continued to grow around the Irishman during his extended absence from the Octagon.

Fans focused heavily on McGregor’s pace and speed in the latest footage

The latest clip immediately sparked debate as many viewers felt McGregor looked unusually heavy, stiff and lacked the fluid motion that once defined his striking. The Irishman appears to have grown up considerably again, returning to a larger physical frame similar to the power-focused version of himself seen at the end of his UFC career. Many fans expressed critical reactions below the viral clip. “He doesn’t look comfortable at all brother,” wrote one viewer, predicting that Holloway could stop him in the third round. Another said, “When I look at McGregor’s division I see toughness. They’re stuck in the mud.” One particularly blunt response read: “I get he needs the money, but he’s over-washed. Literally nothing like him anymore, he’s a whiny boxer with no speed or power.”You can watch Conor McGregor’s new training video posted on Reddit Here. The criticism reflects growing uncertainty over McGregor’s return after nearly five years away from active competition.

McGregor continues to show confidence ahead of Holloway rematch

Despite the criticism, McGregor himself has appeared highly motivated during the build-up to UFC 329. Earlier this year, he announced the Holloway rematch in typical fashion via social media, claiming he would make Holloway his “son” again, more than 13 years after defeating him by unanimous decision during their first meeting at UFC Fight Night 26 in 2013. That original fight took place before either man became a global UFC superstar.

McGregor vs Holloway UFC 329

McGregor vs Holloway UFC 329 Return Fight / Image: X

McGregor later became the promotion’s first simultaneous two-division champion, compiling a professional record of 22 wins and six losses, while Holloway built one of the strongest featherweight resumes in UFC history with 27 wins and nine losses. Before training camp, McGregor publicly thanked fans for supporting him during the toughest period of his fighting career. The 37-year-old said the encouragement has given him new energy ahead of his comeback, and also praised his coaches and teammates for helping him sharpen his preparation. McGregor specifically mentioned long-time teammate Niccolo Soli, saying that recent practice sessions have inspired him to further improve. He also stressed that he now feels mentally and physically stronger than ever. “The support from the fans has made me excited to begin an intense training camp,” McGregor wrote. He also said that he hoped his return could inspire young fighters around the world.

Other UFC fighters have openly questioned whether McGregor should still compete

The growing criticism surrounding the footage came as several UFC fighters publicly questioned whether McGregor should return at this stage of his career. British featherweight contender Arnold Allen recently admitted that he believes McGregor risks damaging his legacy by continuing to fight. “I don’t think McGregor should come back. He’s made his money,” Allen told sportsbible Before his fight against Melquizel Costa on May 17. “The only thing he can do now is spoil his career by staying too long. He’s done everything.” Even with those concerns, McGregor’s return remains one of the biggest attractions in combat sports due to the scale of his name, the length of his absence and the uncertainty over which version of him will ultimately enter the cage against Holloway. There is already speculation about what will happen if McGregor is successful in defeating Holloway in July. One of the names repeatedly linked with a future blockbuster fight is current UFC middleweight champion Khamzat Chimaev, though much of that discussion still hinges on whether McGregor can prove he remains competitive after years away from elite level fighting.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *