Iran moves FIFA World Cup 2026 base from US to Mexico days before kick-off

The Iran football team has decided to move its FIFA World Cup 2026 base camp from the United States to Mexico after receiving approval from FIFA, according to Iran Football Federation President Mehdi Taj. The move comes amid rising geopolitical tensions between Iran, the United States and Israel ahead of next year’s tournament.

Iran were originally scheduled to train in Tucson, Arizona, during the World Cup, but will now reportedly base themselves in Tijuana, Mexico, which is closer to the US border and allows for easier travel to their Group G fixtures in the United States.

Speaking in a statement released on Saturday, Iran Football Federation president Mehdi Taj confirmed that FIFA had approved their request after discussions with tournament officials.

“All team base camps for countries participating in the World Cup must be approved by FIFA,” Taj said.

“Fortunately, following the requests we presented and our meetings with FIFA and World Cup officials in Istanbul, as well as the webinar meeting held yesterday with the respected FIFA Secretary General in Tehran, our request to change the team’s base from the United States to Mexico was approved.”

However, FIFA has yet to officially confirm the change publicly.

Why did Iran remove World Cup base from America?

The decision comes against the backdrop of rising tensions between Iran, the United States and Israel over Iran’s nuclear program and broader Middle East instability.

Iran had earlier explored alternative arrangements for its World Cup stay Amid security concerns and uncertainty over how the political situation could affect the team’s movement and preparations inside the United States.

Despite the concerns, Iran is still set to play its Group G matches in the US as originally planned.

Their World Cup campaign begins against New Zealand at the SoFi Stadium in California on June 16, followed by group-stage matches against Belgium and Egypt in the tournament.

Earlier this month, former US President Donald Trump publicly supported Iran’s participation in the contest. This came after FIFA President Gianni Infantino confirmed that the country would play its matches in the United States.

Trump, speaking to reporters, said, “Well, if Gianni said it, I don’t mind. Did Gianni say it? … You know what? Let them play.”

FIFA has not yet issued an official confirmation

Iran’s football federation was already in talks with FIFA officials over logistical and security concerns during the tournament.

In early May, federation head Mehdi Taj said he planned to meet with FIFA president Gianni Infantino to seek assurances that Iran would be treated with “respect” during the World Cup.

The issue also gained attention during the FIFA Congress earlier this year, where Iran’s delegation was notably absent amid ongoing political uncertainty.

Although FIFA has not formally announced the relocation of Iran’s base camp, the federation’s approval – if confirmed – would allow Iran to remain outside the United States for the majority of the tournament, while also traveling across the border for matches.

– ends

published by:

Debodinna Chakraborty

Published on:

May 24, 2026 02:09 IST

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *