White House shooting: 21-year-old Naseer Best, who claimed to be Jesus Christ, was shot dead

White House shooting: 21-year-old Naseer Best, who claimed to be Jesus Christ, was shot dead

A gunman who reportedly believed he was Jesus Christ was identified as the suspect in the shooting outside the White House and was later killed by US Secret Service personnel during a shootout near the presidential compound on Saturday evening.Nasir Best, 21, reportedly opened fire at a security checkpoint outside the White House, sparking panic in the area and a massive federal security response. According to the New York Post, Best was seen walking suspiciously near 17th Street Northwest, after which he pulled out a revolver and fired several rounds at officers stationed near the checkpoint.Secret Service personnel immediately responded, killing the suspect at the scene. At least one spectator was seriously injured during the exchange, according to sources cited by The New York Post and CBS News. There are no reports of any Secret Service personnel being injured.The shooting occurred while US President Donald Trump was inside the White House amid ongoing diplomatic discussions related to a proposed peace framework involving Iran and several Middle Eastern countries.

Previous Encounters with the Secret Service

According to preliminary information, investigators believe Best was a mentally disturbed individual who had previous encounters with law enforcement and federal security agencies. Sources said he was already known to frequent Secret Service-restricted White House entry points and had allegedly violated an earlier court order directing him to stay away from the area.Read this also Firing reported near White House during Donald Trump’s Iran talksCourt records from the earlier incident reportedly revealed that Best had made strange statements while being detained by officers.“[Best] Claimed he was Jesus Christ and wanted to be arrested,” court records state.Best was previously involuntarily committed in June 2025 after obstructing vehicular traffic near 15th Street and E Street Northwest, authorities said. After claiming he was ‘God’, he was reportedly detained by the Secret Service and sent to a Washington psychiatric institution for mental evaluation, CNN reports. In July 2025, Best was arrested again after attempting to enter a White House complex driveway by bypassing a restricted pedestrian control point through an exit turnstile lane. After the incident, a judge reportedly ordered him to stay off the White House grounds.Investigators also reportedly found several disturbing social media posts related to Best during an earlier investigation. According to sources, he reportedly claimed online that he was the ‘real’ Osama bin Laden.However, law enforcement sources said officers had never seen Best behave violently or carry a weapon before Saturday’s shooting.

FBI started investigation

The FBI later confirmed that federal agencies had launched a joint investigation into the shooting.“The FBI is on scene and supporting the Secret Service in response to the shooting near the White House grounds – we will keep the public informed,” FBI Director Kash Patel posted on Twitter.

Panic and lockdown in the White House

The sound of gunshots created panic among the journalists stationed near the White House. ABC News correspondent Selina Wang said journalists were forced to run for cover after hearing ‘dozens of gunshots’.Wang wrote onMembers of the White House press corps were rushed into the briefing room as Secret Service agents yelled ‘get down’ and warned of ‘fire’. Reporters, photographers and producers were ordered to shelter in place, while armed Secret Service personnel guarded the north lawn area.The White House complex remained in lockdown for about 40 minutes before the restrictions were lifted shortly after 6:45 pm ET.

Trump was in the Oval Office during the shooting

The firing came less than two hours after President Donald Trump posted on Truth Social that he was inside the Oval Office working on a potential peace deal involving Iran, Israel and several Middle Eastern countries.In his post, Trump said that there have been discussions regarding a ‘memorandum of understanding related to peace’ with the leaders of Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan and Bahrain.Trump canceled a planned weekend trip to his golf club in New Jersey and remained in Washington during the talks.Saturday’s incident is the latest in a series of violent security concerns surrounding Trump and the White House in recent months.The shooting occurred less than a month after another armed suspect reportedly opened fire near the White House correspondents’ dinner, when Trump was in attendance.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *