No case of Ebola has been reported in India yet; Government increased surveillance after WHO alert. india news

No case of Ebola has been reported in India yet; Government increased surveillance after WHO alert

Quoting ANI sources, the government said on Wednesday that no case of Ebola has been reported in the country so far.The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare said no cases of Ebola have been reported in India so far, while surveillance and preparedness measures have been strengthened across the country after WHO declared Ebola a public health emergency of international concern.A high-level review meeting was held with Health Secretaries of all States and Union Territories under the chairmanship of Union Health Secretary Punya Salila Srivastava to assess the preparedness and response measures related to Ebola Virus Disease (EVD).During the meeting, states and union territories were advised to maintain preparedness at every level. The Center said detailed standard operating procedures (SOPs) covering pre-arrival and post-arrival screening, quarantine protocols, case management, referral system and laboratory testing have already been shared with all states and UTs.Srivastava stressed the need for coordinated monitoring, timely reporting and preparedness at designated health facilities during the review meeting. The government said all concerned ministries and departments have been sensitized and are taking preventive and surveillance measures in coordination with the health ministry.The ministry also said India has prior experience in dealing with such situations, including the Ebola outbreak in Africa in 2014, when similar precautionary measures were successfully implemented.The Ebola virus is highly contagious and spreads through contact with bodily fluids such as blood, vomit and semen. Common symptoms include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle pain, and in severe cases, internal and external bleeding.The WHO has declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern and expressed concern over its “scale and speed”. The WHO representative in Congo has warned that the outbreak could continue for at least the next two months.Health officials said the outbreak involves the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, which reportedly spread unknown for weeks after initial tests for the more common Ebola strain produced negative results.Investigations are still ongoing to determine when and where the outbreak began. “Given the scale, we’re thinking it probably started a few months ago,” said Anais Legrand, a technical official with the WHO emergency program, as quoted by the AP.There have been 51 cases confirmed so far in Congo’s northern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu, as well as two cases in Uganda. Additionally, authorities are tracking 139 suspected deaths and nearly 600 suspected cases linked to the outbreak.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *