CBSE’s mandatory three-language policy for classes 9 and 10 challenged in Supreme Court; Petition warns of academic anarchy
A major legal challenge has reached Supreme Court Against the decision of the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) to make third language mandatory for class 9 and 10 students from the 2026-27 academic session. According to a report by Live Law, a public interest litigation (PIL) filed by parents and teachers from several cities has questioned both the timing and implementation of the new language policy.The matter was mentioned before Chief Justice of India Surya Kant, who agreed to list the petition next week after senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi sought urgent hearing.During the mention, Rohatgi argued that the new policy could seriously hamper the academic preparation of students. He told the court that students studying in Class 9 cannot be expected to suddenly learn a new language and then appear for the Class 10 examinations within such a short period of time, Live Law reported. He warned that the move would cause “chaos” for students, schools and parents.
Parents and teachers from four cities reached the court
The petition has been filed under Article 32 of the Constitution by 19 petitioners, including parents and teachers from Delhi, Gurugram, Noida and Chennai. The respondents in the case are the central government, CBSE and the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT).At the center of the controversy is CBSE circular number Acad-33/2026 issued on May 15, 2026. The circular said that from July 1, 2026, Class 9 students will have to study three languages, identified as R1, R2 and R3, of which at least two will be native Indian languages.Under the policy, students who wish to study foreign languages like French or German can do so as a third language only if the first two languages are Indian languages. Otherwise, foreign language can be taken only as an additional fourth subject.
The petition states that CBSE suddenly changed its stand
The petitioners have argued that the circular directly contradicts CBSE’s earlier communication issued on April 9, 2026. According to the petition, CBSE had earlier clarified that the mandatory third language requirement for Class 9 students will not be implemented till the 2029-30 academic session.The petition claims that schools and families planned the academic year based on that assurance. It has been argued that the sudden reversal just weeks before implementation has confused students and institutions.The petition further states that many students have already spent years studying foreign languages and will now be forced to suddenly switch to another language stream in the middle of their schooling.
Questions raised on teachers and textbooks
A central argument in the petition relates to the lack of infrastructure to implement the policy. The petitioners have alleged that the circular itself acknowledges the shortage of trained teachers and textbooks. According to the petition, CBSE has allowed temporary arrangements such as appointing teachers from other subjects who have “functional proficiency” in a language and using Class 6 textbooks with additional local content for Class 9 students.The petition argues that such measures highlight the lack of preparedness behind the rollout. Citing Article 14 of the Constitution, the petition claims the policy is “patently arbitrary”. It also cites Article 21A, arguing that meaningful education cannot be ensured by merely imposing a compulsory subject without proper teaching infrastructure and academic planning.
The petition has been cited NEP 2020 Warned of stress on students
The petitioners have also relied on the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020, arguing that the policy framework emphasizes flexibility and clearly states that no language should be imposed on students or states.The plea further claims that the revised mandate is against the National Curriculum Framework for School Education 2023 and contradicts CBSE’s own previous notifications regarding phased implementation.Another concern raised before the court is the academic stress it may cause to students already studying foreign languages. The petition argues that forcing them to change subjects at the secondary level may disrupt continuity and create unnecessary pressure during board exam years.
Foreign language teachers may also be affected
The petition additionally cites Article 19(1)(g), arguing that teachers and institutions involved in foreign language education may face professional harm if foreign languages are excluded from the mainstream three-language system.Citing media reports and representations from parents, the petition claims that confusion has started spreading among schools. A communication referred to in the petition reportedly offered Hindi, Sanskrit and French as language options for Grade 9 under the revised structure.The petitioners have sought quashing of the May 15 CBSE circular and restoration of the previous position of April 9, which had postponed the mandatory implementation for Class 9 students till 2029-30. They have also sought interim relief to prevent the implementation of the policy on existing students while the matter is pending before the Supreme Court.
