India has expressed concern after Iranian attacks targeting UAE nuclear facility
New Delhi: The External Affairs Ministry on Sunday expressed deep concern following the Iranian attacks targeting the Barakat nuclear facility in the United Arab Emirates, terming the attack as a “dangerous escalation” amid rising tensions in the Gulf.“India is deeply concerned by the attack targeting the Barakat nuclear facility in the UAE. Such actions are unacceptable and represent a dangerous escalation. We call for immediate restraint and a return to dialogue and diplomacy,” the Ministry of External Affairs said in a statement.Also read: Drone attack causes fire at nuclear plant in UAEThe reaction came after a fire broke out at the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in Abu Dhabi following a drone strike. Emirati officials said the attack hit an electrical generator outside the plant’s inner perimeter, although there were no injuries or radiological leakage. Officials confirmed that security systems were intact and all units were operating normally.The attack has raised concerns over the fragile armistice between Iran, Israel and the United States, with diplomatic efforts also appearing strained. The UAE accused those behind the attack of carrying out an “unprovoked terrorist attack” and warned that it would not tolerate threats to its sovereignty.The UAE Foreign Ministry said, “These attacks are a dangerous escalation, an unacceptable act of aggression and a direct threat to the country’s security.”The International Atomic Energy Agency said the strike caused a fire near the facility after emergency diesel generators were supplying power to a reactor. The UN nuclear watchdog urged “maximum military restraint” around nuclear sites and said it was closely monitoring developments.The UAE Defense Ministry said three drones had entered its airspace from the western border with Saudi Arabia, with two being intercepted before reaching their targets. Authorities have not officially blamed any countries, although the UAE has previously accused Iran and allied groups of targeting energy infrastructure in the Gulf during the current conflict.The $20 billion Baraka plant, built with South Korean aid and scheduled to become operational in 2020, is the Arab world’s only nuclear power station and supplies about a quarter of the UAE’s electricity needs.The latest attack comes as the rhetoric between Tehran, Washington and Tel Aviv continues to escalate. US President Donald Trump warned Iran that “time is running out”, while Iranian officials insisted their forces were ready, despite diplomatic channels remaining open.
