‘This would be a big mistake’: WHO Africa chief warns against underestimating Ebola virus threat in Congo, Uganda
The World Health Organization’s Africa director on Friday warned against underestimating the risk posed by the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and neighboring Uganda, saying a single case could trigger widespread transmission outside the affected countries, Reuters reports.Speaking to Reuters in Geneva, Mohammed Yacoub Janabi said, “It would be a big mistake to underestimate this, especially for this strain, the Bundibugyo virus, (for which) we do not have a vaccine.”“So I would really encourage everyone, let’s help each other, we can get this thing under control,” he said.Janabi said the Ebola outbreak in Congo has received relatively limited international attention compared to this month’s hantavirus outbreak involving cruise ship passengers from 23 countries.“You just need one contact case to put us all at risk, so my wish and prayer is that we give (Ebola) as much attention as it deserves,” he said.Ebola is a serious and often fatal disease that is spread by direct contact with the bodily fluids of infected individuals, contaminated materials, or the bodies of people who have died from the infection. Symptoms include fever, body aches, vomiting and diarrhea. The outbreak has caused 160 suspected deaths out of 670 confirmed cases so far, according to data published by the DRC health ministry on Thursday. Two confirmed cases have also been reported in Uganda.Janabi declined to estimate how long the current outbreak might last, saying experts were still assessing the scale of the situation. He said the “hyperdynamic movement of people” made it difficult to fully predict the outbreak.He said efforts are underway to increase testing, strengthen infection prevention measures and improve community engagement.Referring to an incident in which Ebola treatment tents were burned following a dispute over a victim’s body, Janabi said authorities were “trying to fight both borders” – the virus and the spread of misinformation among local communities.He also said epidemiologists have not yet identified the first infected person linked to this outbreak.
